To enable both a better user and developing experience, Socii has been rebuilt from the ground up. The foundation for the network itself is being solidified but the marketing site is ready for release.
We are aiming for an April 1st release of the new hotness, if not the first week of April.
For the curious, the new architecture replaces six microservices with a single API and moves all logic currently happening server-side to the API as well. What’s left is a snappy single-page application.
Decoupling the logic from the network enables us to iterate quickly and efficiently going forward.
A Socii Dispatch will be sent after this relaunch of sorts, with lessons learned along the way.
Notifications are now LIVE. When you favorite or respond to a post, the author will get a beautifully simple email stating such.
The notifications tab is still empty for now but we could not wait to ship the workable part of this feature.
@ mention support for notifications will come shortly.
We have updated our policy page for information about GDPR: https://socii.network/policies
You are encouraged to check it out (it’s really short).
Every profile is now equipped with JSON Feed support! Created by Manton Reece and Brent Simmons, JSON Feed aims to be the new RSS.
To access your feed (or others), append
/feed to a user’s profile page. Here’s an example:
Your feed is now available for whatever you wish to use it for. Maybe you want to display your latest posts on your personal site? Have a customized dashboard? Put ‘er there!
Socii is a social network, yes, but not one that wants to keep you on it all the time. Your data is yours.
It may not seem like it but Socii has been refined and refurbished under the hood. Here is a list of what has been fixed/added:
- General improvements and enhancements (lol)
- Email addresses can now have
.characters, perfect for having multiple accounts and using email aliases
- When posts are deleted, favorite and reply counts are accurate
- When a post with replies is deleted, the replies lose the reply icon
- Implementation of reposting is canceled, discussion here
- Message flasher (for lack of better description) has a reasonable
z-indexnow. No more covering navigation menus.
- Post preview button is now disabled when no text has been entered, bug report here
- New post modal now matches language with the button that triggers it, bug report here
- Visual issues regarding the Markdown help have been fixed
- Increased character count for “optimal display”
- New post modal and reply box is now fully responsive
It is worth mentioning again that general improvements and enhancements have been made. Hopefully, you will find Socii to be more stable.
Avatar uploads are finally good. Images are also resized upon upload before optimazation. This took quite a bit of time to figure out and now we have an excellent base for photo uploads in posts.
Thanks for your patience!
Performance has increased by a whopping 57% due to implementing pagination. It’s still not perfect but it’s certainly a start!
The Top 8 feature is a go! You can now add/remove anyone to your squad and we have a new timeline for viewing the posts of just those people.
Please ignore the fact that there currently isn’t any restriction on the number of people you can add…